two of my dearest friends are getting married today and my heart runneth over with so much happiness for them. marriage is complicated and requires work but within all of its complexities, it's beautiful and magical. i had the pleasure of journeying with them to the mountains a couple of months ago and shooting their love with nature as our back drop. below are photos that exude their love along with ten of my favorite quotes from magical and unapologetically black black women (and yes, beyonce is a part of the list. it's only right.)
i found love in the midst of chaos. in the middle of destruction. i thought i left love to collect dust on a leaning mantle. but you dusted it off. cleaned off the edges. and handed it back to me. new. i found love in you. - anisah amat
1. Love is divine only and difficult always. If you think it is easy you are a fool. If you think it is natural you are blind. It is a learned application without reason or motive except that it is God. You do not deserve love regardless of the suffering you have endured. You do not deserve love because somebody did you wrong. You do not deserve love just because you want it. You can only earn - by practice and careful contemplations - the right to express it and you have to learn how to accept it. Which is to say you have to earn God. You have to practice God. You have to think God-carefully.
- Toni Morrison
2. To return to love, to get the love we always wanted but never had, to have the love we want but are not prepared to give, we seek romantic relationships. We believe these relationships, more than any other, will rescue and redeem us. True love does have the power to redeem but only if we are ready for redemption. Love saves us only if we want to be saved.
- bell hooks
3. The night loves the stars as they play about the darkness. The day loves the light caressing the sun. We love. Those who do. Because we live in a world requiring light and darkness. Partnership and solitude. Sameness and difference. The familiar and the unknown. We love because it's the only true adventure.
- Nikki Giovanni
4. I cried to think of how lucky we both were to have found each other, since it was clear that we were the only ones in the world who could understand what we understood in the instantaneous manner in which we understood it.
- Audre Lorde
5. How do we come to be here next to each other / in the night / where are the stars that show us to our love / inevitable / outside the leaves flame usual in darkness / and the rain / falls cool and blessed on the holy flesh / the black men waiting on the corner for / a womanly mirage / I am amazed by peace / it is the possibility of you / asleep / and breathing in the quiet air.
- June Jordan
6. magic / my man / is you / turning / my body into / a thousand / smiles. / black / magic is your / touch / making / me breathe.
- Sonia Sanchez
7. To be in love, is to touch things with a lighter hand. In yourself you stretch, you are well.
- Gwendolyn Brooks
8. They say true love's the greatest weapon / To win the war caused by pain, pain /But every diamond has imperfections / But my love's too pure to watch it chip away / Oh nothing real can be threatened / True love breathes salvation back into me / With every tear came redemption / And my torturer became my remedy.
9. Because you rubbed my shoulder last night a poem traveled down my arm.
- Alice Walker
10. (i had to include two from zora because both of these are: yes, just yes.)
Love makes your soul crawl out from its hiding place.
- Zora Neale Hurston
She couldn't make him look just like any other man to her. He looked like the love thoughts of women. He could be a bee to a blossom - a pear tree blossom in the spring. He seemed to be crushing scent out of the world with his footsteps. Crushing aromatic herbs with every step he took. Spices hung above him. He was a glance from God.
- Zora Neale Hurston
blessed loving and journeying. and many, many, many congratulations to my friends, arianna and shaphan on becoming legal lovers, today. uniting in holy and beautiful and magical and blissfully matrimony.